Sunday, May 21

Journeying with the Resurrected Jesus with Vision

 They came near the village where they were going, and he gave the impression that he was going farther. But they urged him, "Stay with us, because it's almost evening, and now the day is almost over." So he went in to stay with them. It was as he reclined at the table with them that he took the break, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him, but he disappeared from their sight. They said to each other, "Weren't our hearts burning within us while he was talking with us on the road and explaining the Scriptures to us?" That very hour they got up and returned to Jerusalem. They found the Eleven and those with them gathered together, who said, "The Lord has truly been raised and has appeared to Simon!" Then they began to describe what had happened on the road and how he was made known to them in the breaking of the bread. 

Luke 24:28-35

Every time I read this story, I notice something else in the wording. There are little nuggets of surprise in all of the details. Today, I have been struck by the reality that these two disciples had an awakening with the true, living, resurrected Jesus. This moment is where their lives changed forever. What they saw at the table could not be unseen, and I want moments like this in my own life. 

But, what really happened there? 

How did these disciples suddenly recognize Jesus when they'd been walking with Him in disappointment, confusion, and fear for miles? 

Why did they suddenly make a connection at the table? 

I want to know the answers to these questions so badly. I do! I want to answer them with certainty, and then make the connections to my own life so that I never miss the resurrected Jesus in my own circumstances. That is an impossibility. 

We can study this awakening, though. We can look at the details we know and uncover clues to the vision Jesus' disciples were suddenly granted. 

The obvious clue I see is that Jesus began to do what they'd seen Him do many times in His ministry. The Passion Translation says, Joining them at the table, he took bread and blessed it and broke it, then gave it to them. (verse 30)

I wish I had an actual count of how many times those words are written through the Gospels. This is what Jesus did! He provided. He blessed. And, He served. When the disciples from the road to Emmaus saw Jesus doing something they'd seen Him do before, they recognized Him. 

That recognition removed the veil from their eyes immediately. Then, they were able to look back at their journey on the road with clarity and vision. They knew they'd suspected something different about Him. Their "hearts were burning" as He spoke. But, they'd missed the reality of His presence, because Jesus wasn't doing anything they expected and nothing they recognized. Until He did.... 

I wonder what would have happened on the road if the disciples had trusted the fire they felt inside of them. If their hearts were burning as Jesus shared scripture, I wonder what they were doing with that fire. I am so curious to know what they were telling themselves that caused them to ignore what was being ignited in their spirit. 

Whatever it was, it hindered real vision.  

Still, I love the kindness and patience of our God. There was no rush to an awakening. Jesus joined the disciples on their journey. He didn't push. He didn't belittle them or disqualify them because of their lack of understanding. He was simply with them. 

Emmanuel, God with us. That is our Jesus!

I think most days I walk my own Emmaus Road journey. I trust Jesus is walking with me even though I experience sadness, confusion, and even fear. Unfortunately, there are times I don't recognize Him or what He is doing. He doesn't push. He doesn't rush me into understanding. He reminds me of Truths in Scripture. He stays with me and never leaves me. Then, as I sit in His presence, He shows me the reality of who He is. Revelation. He reminds me of what He accomplished through the cross. Awakening. He does this in a variety of ways over and over and over again. 

It's beautiful! Well, first it's as uncomfortable as it seems to have been for these disciples. Then, it's beautiful. 

I was listening to a podcast this week and the speaker said, "If I could ask for only one gift from God for the rest of my life it would be revelation." I have spent so much time thinking about these words. Without revelation (vision), we can't rightly understand God's Word, our experiences, or His direction through Holy Spirit. It seems sadness, confusion, and fear might always precede this kind of revelation and awakening. Can we hold on to our faith in the discomfort knowing a deeper understanding is on its way? 

God revealed Himself through Jesus Christ, and I want to experience new revelations of who He is until the day I step into eternity and finally see Him clearly. I will see with certainty then. For now, I want to sit in His presence asking to see with curiosity, with expectation, and with trust. I'm sure the vision and awakening will follow. 

Whatever the revelation-light exposes, it will also correct, and everything that reveals truth is light to the soul. This is why this Scripture says, "Wake up, you sleeper! Rise up from your coffin and the Anointed One will shine his light into you!" 

Ephesians 5:14 (TPT)

No comments :

Back to Top