Sunday, May 7

Journeying with Resurrected Jesus in Confusion

 "Moreover, some women from our group astounded us. They arrived early at the tomb, and when they didn't find his body, they came and reported that they had seen a vision of angels who said he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they didn't see him." He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Wasn't it necessary for the Messiah to suffer these things and enter into his glory?" Then beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted for them the things concerning himself in all the Scriptures. They came near the village where they were going, and he gave the impression that he was going farther.  Luke 24:22-28

There is no other way for me to begin this post without telling you how much I really enjoy knowing what is going on. I like it! It's comfortable. It makes me feel safe. 

The obvious flip side of that statement is that I very much do not enjoy not knowing what is going on. I tend to be uncomfortable with questions and uncertainty. It feels unsettling. 

Right after the disciples on the road to Emmaus shared their disappointment with Jesus they went on to communicate confusion. Not only had Jesus died three days earlier shattering all of their hopes that He would save them from oppression, they'd been told He was missing from the grave. The women who shared this news didn't seem to know where He was, but they did say angels were present and said Jesus was alive. 

In this particular moment, it feels like that last piece of news would have created more questions than answers. 

When I consider the seasons of my life heavily marked with confusion, I remember them as times of living with so many questions, uncertainty of all kinds, a pile-up of unknowns. This seems like what was going on with the disciples on the road. Doesn't it read like they are listing one disappointment after another until finally this mystery of His whereabouts? They were overwhelmed with confusing information and trying to figure it all out as they walked.

For the first time, Jesus answered with acknowledgement of the disciples' foolishness. He confronted them with their lack of belief or slowness to believe. Then, it seems He pieced together the full story of the Gospel from the very beginning. He included all of the pieces that pointed to Himself in Scripture and rightly interpreted for them. They still did not get it!

And now, I'm confused! How did they not understand as Jesus put this story together for them? What could have been the problem? Why didn't they see and fully understand?

I can only guess here, but I believe it was impossible for them to see the Truth without the physical understanding of the presence of Jesus. He was the missing puzzle piece that made the rest of the image unclear. You and I can't understand their confusion, because we know the rest of the story. They weren't there yet. Without the last puzzle piece sliding into position, these two disciples were overwhelmed with the kind of uncertainty that affected their faith. They were trying so hard to understand what couldn't be understood. Yet!

Lately, I've been convicted that my deep desire to have all the answers, every piece of every puzzle, right now is idolatry. I'm so addicted to certainty and trying so hard to figure everything out, but in this human body I have to live with a lot of mystery. With my whole heart, I believe Jesus did raise from the dead. He lives! That reality brings me peace. However, there are still a lot of puzzle pieces missing from my personal story. 

How do we live fully alive in the middle of mystery and uncertainty? I believe we must stop trying to figure out the details of what we don't know, and we focus on what we know. 

We know we have a powerful God who created us and loves us. 

We know He has a plan for our flourishing.

We know there will be trouble and difficulty in this world.

We know that Jesus overcame all of it, and one day we will live with Him in complete victory. 

We know that God is with us through the power of the Holy Spirit, so we will face nothing alone

Could that be enough? 

When I put puzzles together, I start with the edges, completing the outside square or rectangle before moving inside to all of the rough patches and scenes. When one spot gets too frustrating, I move to another spot. All of the work is done inside the frame. The outer edge is always secure while I work out the messes in the middle. 

Our frame, foundation, is certain and secure. When we run up against a confusing situation, ones we can't figure out, I believe it's imperative to return to the things that we know to be true, right, and sure. Our faith is in a trustworthy God, so we can rest (even in mystery) with Him. 

There is a divine mystery - a secret surprise that has been concealed from the world for generations, but now it's being revealed, unfolds and manifested for every holy believer to experience. Living within you is theChrist who floods you with the expectation of glory! The mystery of Christ, embedded within us, becomes a heavenly treasure chest of hope filled with the riches of glory for his people, and God wants everyone to know it!  

Colossians 1:26-27 (TPT)


No comments :

Back to Top