Sunday, May 14

Journeying with Resurrected Jesus in Fear

 Moreover, some women from our group astounded us. They arrived early at the tomb, and when they didn't find his body, they came and reported they had seen a vision of angels who said he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they didn't see him.  Luke 24:22-24

These verses were included in last week's post. However, I pulled them out to look again. I imagine these women were full of fear as they stood near the tomb to find Jesus was missing but angels were present. In my life, fear has proven worthy of its own week of study. As much as I hate to admit it, fear has informed many of my decisions, perspectives, and general well-being. 

In his book, Voices of the Heart, Chip Dodd explained that there are 7 human emotions/feelings. These feelings are gifts because they help us live fully alive in a broken world. Each feeling offers us a benefit if we'll receive it. In other words, if we will pay attention to our feelings and ask God to show us what we can learn from them, our life will be enhanced. However, if we ignore them, our lives will be impaired.

The gift of fear is wisdom and faith. Giving fear its rightful space in our lives offers protection to us. It will teach us to plan and prepare with God. A healthy fear takes us right to Creator God. We get to express our fear, offer it back to Him, and release all control of outcomes. In that space, fear loses its power over us. On the other hand, when we don't listen to and pay attention to our fear with God, it's no longer a gift. The impairment of fear is anxiety. In an anxious state, we tend to seek our own control of outcomes. I have some first-hand experience here, and it's a tough way to live. 

In nearly every place in scripture where angels arrive, the beginning of their message is, "Don't be afraid." It occurs to me that the only reason this message would be repeated so often is because the appearance of angels was in fact scary. I don't think it is a stretch to assume the women were scared when they arrived early at the tomb to care for the body of Jesus but found He was gone and angels were there instead. 

Today, I don't want to belabor any point, because the message seems pretty clear. Even when we are intent on following Jesus, life is going to offer fear-filled experiences. I have no doubt God could have made a way for the first followers to learn of Jesus' resurrection that didn't involve surprise, unexpected, scary visitors. But, He didn't. These disciples had to experience fear, and we will too. 

I'm writing this post in the early moments of Mother's Day. I have faced no other role that offers me as many opportunities to let fear turn to anxiety than my role as a mother. Genuine love switches to anxiety and control in my heart fast. As it turns out, though, children (of any age) don't really feel loved when they detect they're being controlled. OK, BUT.... often they show up with friends, or circumstances, or words, or plans that look just as scary to me as the angels in Jesus' empty tomb must have looked to the women who arrived on resurrection Sunday. As their mom, I feel like freaking out is an appropriate response. Out of care for these people I love so much, certainly God would want me to manipulate and control so that the scary friends, circumstances, words, and plans go away. FAR away! Surely my job as their mother requires me to hold on for dear life until everyone cooperates with the safer arrangements I can make. 

Or, these fear-filled moments are invitations to open up my grip, offer the fear to God, and rest in His care. He knows the outcomes and I do not. All I can really know in the present is that He is here with me. He is with the people I love. And, His ways are better than my ways. When I sit with open hands, my heart might still experience fear. Trusting God in that fear grows a faith that leads to wisdom

We've taken a slight break from the Emmaus Road in order to return to the tomb where fear may have had a chance to grow into anxiety. We've taken another look in order to offer a healthier way to manage fear. 

I wonder if there's a situation in your life right now that deserves another look. Maybe this post offers an invitation to return to a previous event that was a bit scary. Could you look at it in a new way? Is God inviting you to open your grip, offer it to Him, and let go your need for safe and manageable outcomes? 

Life is an adventure! The best adventures include a little fear. What looks scary to you today? Maybe it's the thing sent to announce Jesus' presence. Like the angels, it may present in a way that creates fear. But, He is not dead. He is alive! Therefore, what causes us fear can be handled by Him. Our solution to the giant fears is to simply let go. 

I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.

Psalm 34:4-5 

No comments :

Back to Top