Sunday, January 8

Knowing HIM!

I LOVE Sundays! I love waking up with the anticipation of spending an entire morning with my family. I love knowing that I am going to be ushered in to the very presence of God during worship service. And, I LOVE being challenged each week with God's Word while being covered in His grace and mercy. I appreciate being part of worship that is clearly planned with the faith that "if HE be lifted up, HE will draw all men to Himself."

Today's service was unbelievable, and I am going to do my best to summarize my "take away".

1 Chronicles 28: 9 and 10 record some of David's last words to Solomon before his death in the next chapter. As king and father, David saw the importance of giving some last instruction to Solomon. Apparently, there is a list of 6 instructions that we will look at over the next few weeks. But, today, we studied only the first.

You know, David had MUCH life experience. He had done many things well with God. However, he'd done many things wrong. He had messed up plenty. So, as he's on his way out of this earth, he had so many life lessons learned the hard way that he could share with his son. That's why I think the #1 item on his list is so important.

"And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge (know) the God of your father..."

Why didn't David say, "stay pure in your marriage", "do not lust", "be brave in the face of difficult situations", or "forgive your enemies" as the first of his instructions? These are IMPORTANT things and clearly areas where David struggled and learned to depend on his God.

I thought that the pastor did a beautiful job of explaining why David chose to encourage, and possibly plead with, Solomon to know God first in his dying words to his son. And, everything that he said rang true in my spirit in connection with this journey I have been on. The overall point is this...

When we KNOW God, truly KNOW Him, our lives are TRANSFORMED from the inside out. Everything about us changes. When we know God, we can't help but to allow the natural tendencies of our human nature to become more like His.

The problem many of us face is that we don't really KNOW Him. We live in the Bible belt, so we would be hard pressed to come across someone who didn't know who God is. Most of the people that I come in contact with even believe in Him. But, we were challenged today by the question, "Do you know him as intimately as you know your spouse?" To KNOW Him means that, as well as possible, I know his thoughts, actions, and beliefs. And, when we know these things about God, we trust Him more which leads to obeying Him.

In David's case, his knowledge of God allowed him to view his problems in light of God's truth. That's why he was able to do with Goliath what many others were terrified to attempt. They saw Goliath as a giant, impossible situation. David saw him as small in comparison to his God.

David was "a man after God's own heart", yet his sin was GREAT by any standard. The human tendency when our mess ups are this bad is to run from God. Like Adam and Eve, we want to hide inwardly and outwardly from God and others. David, however, ran TO God in his times of greatest sin. Why? Because He KNEW God. He knew that God was the one who could forgive. He knew that God wanted to forgive and restore. And, because David KNEW the benefits of a close, intimate relationship with his heavenly father, he wasn't willing to let ANYTHING hinder that relationship.

I think the point is that so often we want to MAJOR on the MINOR things. Wouldn't it be easier for us to come up with a list of all of the things we should do. Then, we could make a list of all of the things we shouldn't do. And, sticking to the list would be a good life's goal. We should go to church, we shouldn't watch certain things on TV. We should love everyone, we shouldn't have prejudices. We should be quick to forgive, we shouldn't gossip. The list could go on and on... and on! And, by the way, I'm comfortable with everything on the list so far. I think it's a good list. So...what's the problem?

For me the problem is the FOCUS. If my focus is on what I should or should not be doing, then my focus isn't on knowing God. If my focus is on what others are or are not doing, then my focus isn't on God.

My knowledge of WHO GOD IS has been my salvation for four months. Someone asked me recently what I would have rated my life on the morning of August 26th right after hearing terrible news from Scotty. I had to stop and think, because I always want to be honest as I share how God has brought me through heartache and betrayal. But, after a few minutes, I honestly answered, "Surprisingly, I still rated it pretty high."

And, here's why. My God has proven faithful, loving, good, and compassionate to me too many times in my 36 years for me to have worried that He was going to stop now. What I know of Him is that He has GREAT plans for me. Plans to prosper me and not to harm me. These are plans that give me hope and a future. I also know that my God is BIG and there is nothing any person can do to thwart His plans for me.

"Oh taste and see that the LORD is good."

I've tasted and I've seen and I trust that HE is GOOD. Here me say, AGAIN, that there have been difficult days. But, His goodness didn't stop on those days. And, even then, my "sight" was on what He WOULD do with the mess if I just gave it to HIM.

So, I agree with David. If I were speaking last words to my children today, I would begin with "Know Him." And, if I have the honor to watch my three children grow into adulthood, I pray I get to see evidence that they know their God and that they actively pursue and greater knowledge of HIM. If they know my God, He will guide them, correct them, love them and pursue them. Life may get hard, but intimacy with God through Jesus Christ will provide them with everything that they need to do this life and do it WELL.

I know I'm getting long winded. Please hang with me, because this part is so important to me. Honestly, I'm crying a little as I start to write it.

The knowledge that I have of God began in me through many people. I've listed them here before... parents, family, church leaders, friends, husband, children, etc. I have been so blessed in relationships. So many people have been willing to pour into my life from their own believing relationships. However, if I had been satisfied with Who God was to THEM, I would not have been very prepared for the events of August 26th. Let's be honest, I wouldn't be very prepared for the events of my daily life. See, God wants a PERSONAL relationship with each of us. Obviously, he desires that each of us come to saving knowledge of Him, but I believe HE wants even more. I believe that He wants each of us to know Him intimately.

Where am I going with this? I almost don't want to say it, because it truly sounds prideful in my head. But, I'm going to say it anyway, because I can't handle worrying that anyone might make my words your Bible or my relationship your relationship. In fact, I was told in one of my relationships a while back that a friend had made ME her God. I can't tell you the pain that causes me. He's SO, SO GOOD. I don't even come close!! If you settle for me, you're settling for WAY less that God intended for you. And, you know what else? You're setting yourself up for disappointment, because I am human and I HAVE AND WILL mess up. I don't use that as an excuse to do as I please with my testimony, but I know it to be fact. There is not a human on this earth who was meant to be God to another person. It will never work!

God has revealed Himself to me over and over. He has lavished me with his love and comfort. He has provided for my every need and demonstrated a plan to continue in that provision. He has given me great favor! BUT.... I AM NOT THE FAVORITE! No one else has to live off of the love He has given me or the knowledge of who HE is to ME. He desires YOU to experience it as well. If I get to be somewhat of a part in ushering you to the Father, it would be a great honor. I just pray that I am always a pit stop in the path to HIM. I can't be the finish line.

So... let's KNOW Him! Let's ask Him to show Himself to us. Let's be careful not to only ask Him to show us what He can do for us. I want to know Who He is. HE is our very great reward and worthy of our pursuit. He WILL NOT let us down.


No comments :

Back to Top