Thursday, April 12

Roller Coasters

I love roller coasters! I haven't always. But, at some point during my older teenage years, I had a great friend that persuaded me to give them a try (thank you, Macy). And, I've been a fan since then.

Don't get me wrong, I still panic each time the coaster makes the first climb. It seems so long and drawn out. But, after the first fall, it's pure enjoyment for me. I love all of the starts and stops, climbs and falls, twists and turns.

But, when LIFE feels like a roller coaster, that's not so much fun! When LIFE provides starts and stops, climbs and falls, twists and turns, I DON'T consider that to be fun. In fact, I consider it annoying. But, life IS a roller coaster. Right?

Life doesn't follow a straight, uneventful path for ANYONE. Our twists and turns are different, but every life has them. And, the falls are only truly experienced because the peaks have been such a blessing. Sometimes, I'm thankful for the starts and stops. While the roller coaster ride can cause some annoyance to our lives, can we admit that the straight, uneventful path would be.... BORING!!!!

However bothersome it may be, it is what it is. This is it! This is the life we've been given. These are the circumstances we've been handed. And, THIS is the situation CHOSEN for us. So, now what?!?!?

That's where I've been for the past week and a half that I haven't been blogging. I've just been thinking. My own personal roller coaster MAY or MAY NOT have plummeted and hung out in the valley for a few days. There just aren't any real answers right now. STILL. My reports to everyone interested are the same each and every time they ask. And, I WANT the next step.

This morning, I read the last chapter of John. What a great book! At the end, Jesus appears to the disciples for the third time, and they are fishing. They come to the shore to eat the fish they've caught for breakfast. Jesus has a little conversation with Peter, because Peter's roller coaster had recently left great heights and fallen to great depths. He'd experienced life with Jesus; but, when it really counted, Peter blew it. So, after it had been re-established that Peter was indeed Christ's disciple, what did Jesus tell Peter to do?

"Follow me."

WAIT!!!! He's already commanded the disciples to do THAT! THAT was the VERY FIRST thing that He asked them to do! Didn't He have something NEW for them to do? Wasn't He supposed to provide them with the next step?

YES! All throughout Acts, they are doing one new thing after another. BUT... first, they are following Christ's lead. I'm sure each and every disciple of Jesus had frustrations and concerns after He left this earth. But, as they thought back, He'd given them one command in the very beginning and He'd given them the exact same command just before He left them. If ever they came to a point where they didn't know what to do next, they could rely on the very first instruction given to them.

"Follow me."

These two words spoke volumes to me this morning. There are still a lot of unknowns! A LOT! But, I can NEVER say that I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm supposed to be following Christ. The roller coaster may climb and fall, start and stop, twist and turn. But, He's leading and I'm following!

It may not be as FUN as those roller coasters in amusement parks. But, this roller coaster has a purpose. This is LIFE! It's short, but it's supposed to have meaning. So, stay the winding course, because...

"He who began a good work in you will continue it to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6


No comments :

Back to Top