Friday, September 23

Gratitude...

I feel that I should start by saying that I don't have anything super spiritual or upliftingto say today. What I want to say is that I spent my ENTIRE day at a local spa. Yep! I got there at 11:00 and didn't leave until after 4:00. Why? Because shortly after Scotty resigned and life as we knew it changed in the blink of an eye, a sweet friend showed up on my porch with a gift. She quickly left before I could open it. So I sat alone and opened a gift that was from 16! friends. It was a full day's spa package and a ridiculous amount of spending cash to go with it. I was blown away at the love expressed to me in the words of the card and the generosity given to me in my gift.

So, as I was relaxing today, I was reminded that some of God's greatest gifts to me have been the PEOPLE that HE has placed in my life. And, because of that, I feel I should say a few 'thank you's.

First of all, the weekend that the news broke, my mom was out of town. No worries... Lisa Gunn took over mothering duties for all 3 of my children. She knew that Scotty and I would need the time to process all of this information together. I will never be able to repay her for caring for my children. I knew I did not need to worry one second for them. And that's a great thing, because I couldn't have.

During those first three days, countless friends texted and offered to do whatever we needed. A number of my TOT girls offered a shoulder to cry on and encouraging words to live on. They were amazing. A few other friends insisted on sitting right beside us during our last worship service just prior to Scotty's difficult announcement.

On Sunday afternoon, my three dearest and oldest friends drove here just to be with me. They cried with me and supported me. Just two days after life changing news, they even had me laughing hysterically! Amazing friends. Shortly after they left, I was able to talk to my sweet mom. It took her about 4 hours to get here and she TOOK OVER this household LITERALLY! She was amazing and probably the only
person that could have kept things completely normal for my children for the TWO WEEKS that I was unavailable to them.

Just as an aside, I also owe my wonderful mother a big thank you for being the first one to show me a true LOVE for Jesus Christ and His Word. She has been a fabulous mother; encouraging, nurturing, loving me no matter what, but the best thing she has done for me is to
demonstrate utter dependence on her God. Man, am I grateful for that today! The rest of my family has come together to do so many things for us. And, while we haven't seen Scotty's family yet, thet have been encouraging us through texts, cards and phone calls as well. We are blessed by family.

I WISH I could list everyone else that has been so wonderful to us. Those of you that send encouraging texts regularly are so very appreciated. Others have sent cards, offered free babysitting, helped with school pick up, offered to cook for me, and above all just loved us unconditionally.

Recent events have made me question my lifestyle of enjoying friendships and making myself vulnerable by loving others and choosing to do life WITH people rather than in isolation. Anytime you open up to people, you risk betrayal. Satan would LOVE for me to come away from this experience with the mindset that people can't be trusted. He's fighting another losing battle, because he has underestimated all of you. And, doing life in relationships... the way God intended... is always worth the risk!

So, because I don't have the luxury of thanking each of you individually... THANK YOU!!! You are a precious gift to me."

"I thank my God every time I remember you.." Philippians 1:3

1 comment :

Sonia Wells said...

You and your family are so loved!

Back to Top