Sunday, August 2

A Routine In Sight

I love routine! Actually, I thrive in a routine. When I taught school, one of my favorite things to do was to create our "daily schedule". Granted the benefit of having a self contained classroom was that I could vary the schedule on occasion, because I was only working around myself. However, that didn't happen much. Why? Because, I LOVE a routine.

Now, at the end of this last school year, we were all ready for a little break from the craziness of our schedule. We thoroughly enjoyed the lazy days of June as we did WHAT we wanted WHEN we wanted (as long as it didn't interfere with baseball). Then, in July, the schedule just went haywire as I taught a class for MC. It was a 1 hour aerobics class that met every morning from 8:00 until 8:50. It was a great experience and a little bit more money. I really enjoyed it and will do more of it in the fall. But, I had to get a sub for my cycle classes at the Y (which I love) and EVERY morning of the week at 8:00 with little ones gets difficult. And, then came...VACATION! And, who keeps a schedule on vacation? Not even me.

So, tomorrow, I get to return to the Y. I can hardly wait. I miss my class terribly and my rear end and tummy clearly miss the bike. I'm also hoping to add some of our swim time back to our Y schedule for this last week of summer. Next Tuesday, we get to meet Caleb's teacher. On Thursday, he returns to school. The following Monday, Collin goes back to school.

What am I saying?

Our routine is in sight. Yippee!!!

Don't get me wrong. I love my children, and I'm even a bit misty eyed thinking about our fun summer coming to and end. But, I know good things are coming. I have to give up one phase to fully enjoy the benefits of the next. So, I'm ready to embrace the schedule that is just around the corner.

I can't help but wonder if there is anyone reading this that is a little apprehensive about the schedule that is approaching in your house. Maybe there is a little one in your home making a transition. If that is the case, I encourage you to look forward to it with great anticipation. It was this time last year that I began this blog. One of my first posts was celebrating Caleb's first days of kindergarten. "To everything there is a season..." So, don't let anything hinder you from enjoying THIS SEASON. We'll only get this one chance.

1 comment :

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

I'm with you, Amy! And did you happen to read my article on this very topic? Note the title. :)

http://www.parents-kids.com/articles/20090701_225/Family_Matters--To_Everything_There_is_a_Season

Back to Top