Wednesday, July 22

Happy Birthday, Claire...LATE!

Are you beginning to recognize a pattern? Tardiness is my new trend.

This past Sunday, we celebrated Claire's second birthday. TWO YEARS OLD! I know the phrase, "where did the time go" is very much over used. But, I can't think of any other phrase to express how I feel about our baby girl being 2 years old.

I found out that I was pregnant with Claire during Thanksgiving break of 2006. Caleb was almost four and Collin was a year and a half. My stomach tightens even as I type the words. This just happens to be around the time that Collin "came alive". He was a handful; and, actually, that is putting it mildly. So, I was more than overwhelmed (and more tired than I ever remember being) at the thought of adding another one to the mix.

Multiplying the insecurities, I was terrified to tell Scotty that we were having another baby. I can honestly say that I had no idea how he would react. So much so that I waited almost 2 whole weeks before I shared the news with him. He responded in genuine joy at the thought that God saw fit to bless us with another child. And, if you can imagine that it is possible, he also responded in very real depression. Sounds harsh, I know. But, we are only human.

We were more than ecstatic when the sonogram showed that we were having a girl. That truly calmed some of my nerves, because I was pretty certain that a two year old girl could not create the madness that two year old boys thrive in. (By the way, I'm paying for those thoughts now.) And, from the moment she arrived, we knew that our lives would be missing something BIG had she not been a part of them.

Today, she brings such joy to our home. She is definitely a "Ms. Priss" and I am positive the boys enjoy having that personality around as much as I do. I feel certain that if she had been the first, she would be much more dainty and sensitive than she is. But, her brothers (and her daddy) have made her tough with just enough sensitivity around the edges. If I began to list all of the differences between "our girl" and "our boys", I could type all day. But, one thing remains the same...LIFE SURE IS PRECIOUS...

young or old.

boy or girl.

planned or unplanned.


And, knowing that there are so many that would give anything for even one child to call their own, Scotty and I remain forever amazed that God chose to grant us three.







You bring such happiness, sweet girl! SO, Happy Birthday to You!!!

4 comments :

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyson said...

HEY!
Ohhhhh WHY do I read these @ work!!
In tears...
I love that sweet baby girl Claire Bear SOOOO much!
I can not explain in words the JOY that has come from being your children's "Sassy"
Aly/Sassy :)

jenny winstead said...

i am a bucket of emotions right now, and reading this post certainly didn't help out! she is a precious and very loved little girl and you are so right...LIFE IS PRECIOUS! :) see you soon! tell scotty we said thanks for coming to visit "kendall...i mean jake...i mean..blaise." hehe.

Stephanie said...

So sweeet! Love it and sweet Claire!!!

Back to Top