Tuesday, June 9

Aah Relaxation...Sort Of

As I stated in an earlier blog, Scotty gave me a nice gift certificate to Aqua the Day Spa for Mother's Day this year. The gift was doubly nice considering Heather got the same thing. And, while a day at the spa alone is wonderful, a day at the spa with a great friend is just about perfect.

I began my day with an early run before Bible study. A group of women in our church is doing a Bible study on Tuesday mornings this summer. Today was our first meeting, and I was beyond excited about it. There are few things that I enjoy more than women's Bible study.

Claire left the church with a friend, and I took the boys to another friend. Leaving Clinton, I breathed a sigh of relief and was off for some relaxation.

Heather (who is clearly NOT as spriritual as I am :) met me at Chili's because she spent the morning shopping out North. (Just in case anyone is wondering...I'm totally kidding about the spiritual part.) Our time together was full of good food and lots of talking. We generally talk 90 to nothing when we are together without kids. We spend a good bit of time together, but very little of it is without kids. So, we have LOTS to say when we get the chance.

Halfway through lunch, I get a call from my friend who has the boys. Before she says a word, I can hear Caleb SCREAMING. She took them swimming. Caleb was running down the diving board and slipped off. I'll spare all of the tiny details. Basically, he scraped up his foot as he slipped off, but his chest down to his tummy took the brunt of the fall. He's pretty scratched up. There was some bleeding going on which was the cause for all of the screaming. Caleb REALLY hates blood. A paper cut that produces the tiniest bit of blood will having him screaming as if he's lost a limb.

I received two more calls. The first was to say that he was going to be o.k. even though he had not stopped fussing yet. About ten minutes later, I got the call that he was up running and playing tennis in the pool again.

En route from Chili's to the Spa, I had a minor melt down. Caleb has had a rough couple of days with a few other accidents and a bad night at baseball practice. When I received the final call that he was going to be fine, emotion flooded over me. I'm not sure why that brief episode had me so flustered, but it did. And, the thought that kept rushing over me was that sometimes the emotional heaviness that comes with being a Mom is too much...much too much.

I guess only a Mom would worry about how her six year old is coping with consecutive catastrophes causing physical harm to his body, or if one bad night at baseball practice would damage his sense of confidence for life. I'm sure I'm not in the minority of Moms that would let my mind drift, even for a second, to what could have happened in the diving board incident. Deep breath in, deep breath out...Sometimes, it's all just too much!

And, at the same time, it's absolutely wonderful! I can't think of anything I would rather have consume my thoughts and emotions for the most part of every day than the 3 little people taking up residence there now. They are a blessing.

And, while my day at the spa might not have been the day of relaxation that I had originally planned, my toes are still BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks, Scotty, for three beautiful children AND my day of pampering.

5 comments :

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I am soooo glad that I got to spend the day with you yesterday! I am so sorry that the little stresser happened BUT you know I always ask you how you stay so together with three and I can't ever get it together with only two! You handled the whole thing with grace...it must be because you are so much more spiritual! By the way...I still love my purple toes. Next time...you will have to step out of your box:)

Carly Winborne said...

sounds like a wonderful day, complete with a taste of reality to keep it in check.

although i haven't seen your toes, freshly pedicured feet are always perfect!

Alyson said...

HEY SIS!!!
I am so glad you got a day of relaxation!!
I am so sad Caleb took a tumble :(
I LOVE that you have such wonderful friends (even the less than spiritual ones)
I LOVE that you have a friend that would paint her toes purple!!
I LOVE that she thinks you are EVER coming out of that cute little conservative box you're in!!
I bet your toes are adorable!!
Now...run that polish right off of 'um!! ;)
I miss you and the Roger's crew thiiiiiis much,
Aly/Sassy

Dee Dee said...

I can hardly read your post w/o tears coming to my eyes since I have pool anxiety anyway! Emma and Jessie and definitely taking lessons this summer as I can't seem to get it together enough to get them where I want them. Aubrie decided to get out of the pool the other day (which we didn't know she could do because there are no steps in the kiddie section) to get her flip flops, and I about had a heart attack because we couldn't find her for a minute.

I get all worked up now just thinking about it... so I'll stop!

Glad your toes are happy! Mine are sad...they need some attention.

Back to Top