Sunday, April 23

Journeying with Resurrected Jesus in Relationship

And behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was about seven miles from Jerusalem. And they were conversing with each other about all these things which had taken place. And it came about that while they were conversing and discussing, Jesus Himself approached, and began traveling with them.  Luke 24:13-15 (NAS)

Last week, I introduced this passage of scripture in Luke 24 when two journey to Emmaus together after Jesus' resurrection. In Luke, this is the first story written post-resurrection. For that reason, I believe it's a good passage to study during Eastertide. It highlights the reality of our humanity in the Light of resurrection. 

Jesus rose and gave us His very life! Awesome and YAY! Also, in my humanity, I don't always know what to do with that. You too? Great. Let's look at it together. 

From the start, we get to see one very important thing. These two travelers weren't traveling alone. One was named Cleopas. The other is nameless. Was he a friend? What she a spouse? Did they know each other well or had they happened upon each other on the road? I don't know. What I do know is they were together

A well-known verse in Ecclesiastes says, Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either one falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help him up. (4:9-10)

Are you so happy God didn't intend for us to do life alone? In the Garden, man and woman were made in God's image. That image is hard to define, but we know He is relational. Father, Son, and Spirit have lived forever in perfect unity. We were not created to live in isolation. Relationship is an absolute blessing! 

But, goodness, relationships can be hard! I don't think it's just me. It's sometimes difficult to live with other people, because we were also made uniquely. Our very creative God made each one of us creatively, no one is exactly like another. How special! And, how challenging!

Our appearance, our emotions, our souls, our experiences, our pasts, our family of origin, our education levels are all varied; therefore, it doesn't matter how much we love and care for each other, we will have difficulty living together in unity. 

Can you imagine how different this story would have been if only Cleopas was walking to Emmaus? He could have done it. Maybe there wouldn't have been anything obviously difficult about it. However, there would have been no one beside him in his sadness and disappointment, no one to help with the weight of the adventure. 

Baggage is heavy, y'all. When I travel alone, the hardest part is packing in a way that I can manage the carrying alone. I have to consider lifting into an overhead compartment. I have to remember I only have two hands. But, when I'm traveling with my husband (bless his heart), there's no holding back. He's stronger than me, and we are stronger together. I imagine Cleopas was happy to have another person to share the load of sadness and disappointment that particular day. 

What does your journey look like today? Where are you headed and what are you taking with you? WHO is on this journey with you? 

I think now is as good a time as any to evaluate our relationships. Life can be really, really hard in a million different ways. Jesus is all we truly need, but this passage in Luke demonstrates that human companions are necessary as we journey along with our resurrected King. 

I love my people, and the people God has placed in my life are my greatest treasures. Also, I've had my fair share of conflict. When it's very clear the person you are in conflict with is not someone you're willing to journey without, I want to offer a few tips for resolution and restoration. I wish I could tell you I'm a pro at these things. Actually, I'm more of a beginner. But, God knows how desperately I want to be part of unifying the Body of Christ. So, Jesus, let it begin with me:

1. Be curious about differences. We live in a time and space when we have all manner of making our opinions known. If we aren't careful, we will create a life in a small echo chamber where everyone we walk with thinks and feels exactly like we do. That's dangerous. How do we grow? Why not ask curious questions in disagreement? Next time you find yourself in a situation with someone who disagrees with you, find a creative way to ask why. And, determine to learn something new. 

2. Look for a reason to honor. Every person, (EVERY PERSON) has been made in the image of God. That means every person (EVERY PERSON) deserves honor and respect. Period! I bet we'll have more friends than we know what to do with if we lead with respect rather than ego. 

3. Speaking of ego, let's do our own personal growth work. When do you feel comfortable being your true, authentic self and when are you leading with a false version of self (ego)? This is such a good question and one that takes time to fully answer. I need to confess that finding my own true self has been a long and difficult process. It's caused me to unravel in a BIG way. It's been hard work, and it's the work I'm most proud of. Let's do it, Believers. The world doesn't need any more ego. It does need more sincere loving and living. 

4. Lead with love. I know it sounds simple and maybe "woo woo," but that's it. We get to love because God first loved us. We didn't earn it, deserve it, or even promise to receive it. He just loved. 

Journeying with Jesus, even resurrected Jesus, can be hard, scary, and uncertain. We need people! And, He gave us people. Let's steward them well. 

Greater love has no other than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.... John 15:13


No comments :

Back to Top