Tuesday, August 7

To everything, there is a season...

July, 19, 2007 began a season within a season for our family. That is the day that Elizabeth Claire Rogers came into this world. Our season of "married with small children" was already going strong. But, surprisingly, God allowed us to add a baby girl to our VERY boy world.

 We've had a few things going on this summer, and I MISSED writing about Claire Bear on her birthday. But, today, Scotty and I dropped her off at Kindergarten. And, I'm feeling like this day is worthy of a blog post.

First of all, for those of you with small children at home, I KNOW all about the season of life you are in. Your world is completely dictated by other people. You can't do anything without being interrupted. Full conversations are a thing of the past and you find yourself using words like "potty" instead of "restroom" while speaking to adults! If you have a baby in the mix of the small children, focus on fashion has also left the scene. Now, you get dressed and just hope you make it where you need to go without throw up (or worse!) on your clothes.

This season is difficult by any standards. But, when you throw sleepless nights into the mix, sometimes it can seem that your life will ALWAYS be consumed with babies, diapers and clean ups. Yet... people keep saying irritating things like, "Enjoy this time. It will be over before you know it!"


 



It seemed impossible. But, now, I know it's true. It seems like yesterday, Claire was our newborn... just home from the hospital. And, this morning, she hopped out of the car and walked in to her first day of BIG  school.

Claire has added MUCH to our family. Being the only girl obviously adds a lot of elements that we wouldn't have had without her. And, I'm so very grateful that God allowed us to experience life with sons AND a daughter. But, she's added a million other things... smiles, joy, laughter... LOUD laughter, and love. Today, her going to kindergarten, ends a season for me.


Thankfully, a new season begins when an old season ends. I can't wish these giant children back to babies. But, I can look back over the previous years and move on with renewed strength and vision for the future. As many great memories as I have of the past 9 1/2 years as a mom, there are things I would have liked to have done differently.... BETTER!

And, that's the beauty of a fresh start. I can purpose to do the next season better. Maybe you are staring at the end of a season in your life. Whether it's children going off to school, a move, a job change, or.... you fill in the blank, a new season provides opportunities to use the lessons of past experiences to create NEW & BETTER for yourself and for those around you in the season to come. The only other option is to attempt to stand still! And, life is moving on QUICKLY whether we join in or not.

I can think of SO MANY verses I'd like to include in this post. All of them apply to the point I'm trying to make. And, I'm seriously fighting the urge to type each and every one out and say, "Pick the one that most speaks to you..."

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a FUTURE.  Jeremiah 29:11

In every season of my life, this has been a favorite verse. The sovereign LORD of the universe has GREAT plans for me, my family, my children (AND YOU!). AND.... He knows how each and every one of my life's seasons fit together to bring me to HIS exact plans.

So, when I think I'm JUST packing lunches, fussing at quarrelsome children, washing clothes, folding clothes, fixing dinners, etc., I can trust that God is working in me and through me to bring about HIS plans and HIS future. Now, that adds some excitement to life and some importance to my "seasons".

3 comments :

jenny winstead said...

I just love this. I love you too!! :)

Amy said...

Thanks, Jenny. I love you too. :)

Carrie said...

Aww... we miss Claire-bear! Sooo wish we could see her at Clinton Park. Love these pics. We wish her the best at her new school though. Thanks for the update!

Back to Top